The Library's Mission and Strategic Directions are informed by its core Values and Vision.
The CMA Library supports the mission and programs of the academy through the acquisition and management of academic information resources, the development of information fluency, and the provision of excellent service to campus community.
○ Establish visible and proactive public services
○ Instruct members of the campus community
○ Preserve maritime knowledge for future generations
○ Provide access to essential information resources through onsite collections, electronic networks, and cooperative agreements
○ Ensure information access to users by using information technology creatively and judiciously
○ Encourage growth and achievements of library staff
○ Play an active role in Cal Maritime affairs
○ Contribute to the library profession and to the advancement of knowledge
The CMA Library is committed to certain core values:
○ the advancement of learning and literacy
○ the cause of intellectual freedom
○ the right to freedom of inquiry
○ unfettered access to recorded knowledge and information
The CMA Library strives to be a pre-eminent maritime library with exceptional holdings in the areas of marine engineering, marine technology, and marine transportation. We also aspire to be a model teaching library that is central to the curriculum of the academy, providing access to well-balanced general collections. Furthermore, we intend to be a state-of-the-art library that wisely applies the newest technologies and techniques in the delivery, collection, and preservation of information services and resources.