Aparna Sinha, Chair, Culture & Communication
Michele Van Hoeck, Dean of Library
Matthew Fairbanks, Science & Math
Mike Holden, Mechanical Engineering
Emily Scheese, Athletics
Ali Moradmand, Science & Math
Margot Hanson, Library
David Taliaferro, Commandant of Cadets
Amy Parsons, Culture & Communication
Sam Pearson, Marine Transportation
Ariel Setniker, Science & Math
1. Relevant to the Cal Maritime mission. The connection can be indirect, but it should be consistent throughout the book.
2. Multifaceted. Can the book’s themes be approached from most major fields (science, business, humanities, etc.)? Major themes must hold up under scrutiny.
3. Non-didactic. The book's themes shouldn't be too obvious or heavy-handed.
4. Artful, but not overwrought (prose style). It should be entertaining, but also thought provoking.
5. Impressive, to you. Rank the book for its "wow-factor."
Additional criteria: The committee will give preference to books under 400 pages, but strong recommendations for longer books will be considered. Committee also gives preference to books available in paperback.